We suggest that you use the OS Explorer 141 Cheddar Gorge map and start your wonderful journey at the grid reference: ST 521484.
1. From the notice board at the top end of the car park descend on a stepped path. After a clearing, turn left, following the signposts for "The Gorge". Walk along the wide path to cross the stream and reach another junction.
2. Turn right, going away from the gorge, down the valley to a road. Turn left to go through the Wookey Hole Village. At its end, the road bends to the right; take the kissing gate on the left, signposted "West Mendip Way". After two more kissing gates turn left up a spur to stile and the top of Arthur's Point.
3. Bear right for 60 yards into the woods again. The path now bears right to a stile. Go down left to a kissing gate back into the wood. At once, before the lime kiln just ahead, turn up left between boulders to pass between high quarry crags. Bear right along the wood foot to a short track ahead, it leads to a four-track junction with a waymarker post standing in a stone plinth.
4. Turn sharp left on to a tarred track that bends right then left through Model Farm, to reach Tynings Lane. Turn left for 85 yards to a signposted stile on the right. Go up with a fence on your right, then bear left to a gate with a stile. Go straight up the next field, aiming for a gateway below the top left corner with tractor ruts running into it. A track leads up through a wood and a field. From the gate at its top slant upwards in the same direction to another gate next to a stile 100 yards below the field's top left corner
5. A small path runs along the tops of three fields with a long view across the Levels away to your left. With a stile on the right and a gate and horse trough in front, turn downhill keeping the fence on your right; follow it to a stile leading in the Ebbor Gorge Nature Reserve.
6. A second stile leads into a wood. At a junction with a red arrow and sign marked "Car Park" pointing forward, turn right into the valley and go down it - this narrows to an exciting rocky gully. At the foot of the gorge turn right, signposted "Car Park". You are now back at Step 2 of the outward walk. After crossing a stream turn left at a T - Junction to the wood edge, and back right to the car park.
|Walk (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|