We suggest that you use the OS Explorer 153 Weston-super-Mare map and start this walk at the grid reference: ST 392550
1. From your parking place, cross the road to reach a wide gate on the right (not the small gate ahead).A wide path contours round brambly scrub, crosses the ridge line and drops through a wood and then along its foot to a gate. Just below, a lane leads down into Compton Bishop. Turn left to reach the church.
2. The lane turns down, before the church, to reach a crossroads. Take the track opposite and follow it round a bend to its end. You will now contour round the base of the high slope of Wavering Down. Cross a stile, pass through a wrought-iron gate into a narrow paddock, and then cross another stile into a large field; keep along the bottom edge of this. At its corner keep ahead over a stile, then across the foot of three more fields. Move 40 yards uphill around a fence corner to another stile on the same level. Follow the long bottom edge of a field, then cross another under a power line, to a track and turn right, down to the road. Turn left through Cross village.
3. At a "Give Way 150 yards" sign (warning of the A38 ahead) turn left to walk up a steep rocky path. It turns right above a fence, then slants up to rejoin the same fence higher up. It enters woodland, running just above the foot of the wood, through two gates. Now a wide earth path, it finally emerges at the top of the car park located on Winscombe Hill.
4. Turn left, away from the car park, on a broad track, uphill. This rises through King's Wood, then dips slightly to pass the pan-tiled Hill Farm, before rising to the trig point on Wavering Down. Continue with a wall on your right to cross Barton Hill. In the dip below Crook Peak, the wall ends. Waymarkers point to left and right, but keep ahead to climb the slightly crag-topped summit.
5. Turn left and (with the small rocky drop down to your left) head down on to a long gentle ridge - outcrops of limestone poke out through the shallow grass. At a railed barrier turn right on the path back to Step 1
|Walk (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|